Saturday, April 3, 2010

Eth-Noh-Tec Salon! You're On!

I had originally been invited to present art and poetry in February, but Cynthia Tom asked me to move to March, International Women's Month, and present with Cynthia and Nancy Hom as part of  a project of the Asian American Artists’ Association. AAWAA’s “A Place of Her Own” invites women to consider “If I had a place of my own, what would it be?”

For me, it's less a place than a state of mind, one that I've fought for my whole life, and which, most days, I achieve. Where is my place? Here. Now. observing the world and responding to it creatively. There's nothing else I'd rather do. The creative act, no matter what kind, is where i feel freest, yet most connected. Once you have spent time with the muse, it's hard to pull yourself away, Because you're not really creating the work, you're a vehicle trying to express some sort of universal law or rhythm. 

The act of creation, or co-creation with the muse, is so seductive, i don't even like to take the time to get the work out there. I'd rather be creating something new than submitting, framing, networking, proposal-writing, and all the other stuff that scares me to death.

So that is my current challenge. I'm gaining confidence about my work, but I'm not so confident that others appreciate it. So I'm making an effort to put the work out there, to form relationships and collaborations with other artist, to use calls for submissions as food for thought and springboards for new work.

No comments:

Post a Comment